Subject: Re: Processes Hanging in a Disk Wait
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/12/1996 08:43:36
On Jun 12,  9:59am, Robert Black wrote:
} On Jun 11,  1:37pm, Paul Kranenburg wrote:
} > > Some time ago I know there was a problem with several ports with processes
} > > occassionally hanging in a disk-wait (in vflushbuf). Does anyone know
} whether
} > > this problem was ever resolved?
} >
} > It wasn't, though I've found one possible cause of this last time it happened
} > on my sparc (yesterday :-)
} >
} > Can you please try this patch (which isn't on the release tree yet) and
} > see what it does for you:
}
} [ patch snipped ]
}
} Yup, that works. I've been hammering the disk all night with things which would
} bring it to its knees in 10 minutes before :-)

  Shortly after I replied to the original message, my DECstation got hung
up with the same thing again.  A couple of hours later it did it again.

  I've now applied this patch and haven't seen the problem, but I've been
able to run quite a bit before without trouble, so I can't really tell if
the hang is gone.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  osymh@montana.edu