Subject: Re: LKM's and NetBSD kernels.
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/11/1996 15:09:22
[ On Tue, June 11, 1996 at 13:31:00 (-0400), Chris G. Demetriou wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: LKM's and NetBSD kernels.
>
> don't forget 'osrelease' and friends, generated by newvers.sh.

Ah, ha!  More magic numbers that need to be updated at release time!
(I.e. the release ID in conf/newvers.sh itself.)

I've always wondered why there wasn't one file somewhere near the top of
/usr/src/sys that defined the entire kernel release, then sys/param.h
could be generated with the appropriate values, conf/newvers.sh could
use this, etc., etc.

If there were but one release identifier for the overall kernel things
might be even easier for folks writing portable drivers and other kernel
modules, though of course this would have to be an integer, for
consistency with the represention required by sys/param.h's NetBSD for
the sake of cpp, etc.

If that isn't soon possible I'd like to at least see conf/newvers.sh
include the current value of NetBSD as defined in sys/param.h in some
variable too.....

Then of course there are possible interface specific version numbers,
such as LKM_VERSION, which I suppose was invented to define the actual
LKM API.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods