Subject: tcp_do_rfc1323 vs Linux - any solid understanding?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/08/1996 23:34:24
Does anyone know *why* the rfc 1323 option produces pessimal network
behavior?

Symptom:  Assume two NetBSD systems with rfc 1323 enabled.  Connect
one via ethernet to a Linux box, and the other via ppp to the same
Linux box.

PPP connection to Linux will be excellent and responsive.  Ethernet
likewise.  But the connection between the NetBSD boxes is pessimal.

This works with less direct connections on one side.  For instance, if
I enable 1323, my connection to sup.netbsd.org will take about 6 hours
to get new changes since, say, a day earlier.  Yes, *6 hours*.  With
rfc 1323 off on my end, I generally do the same thing in 10-15 minutes,
unless the changes are vast.

-s