Subject: Re: xload freakout
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/08/1996 12:10:40
>> It's particularly
>> annoying because I have to kill all of X, and remove the file, to get
>> my file space back.

>wouldn't e.g. 'cp /dev/null file' work?

Uh yeah, brain fart on my part...  That would probably do the trick.

The other reason it's annoying is because my nightly backup important
dirs to a redundant location scripts end up copying this file, and
filing up another filesystem.  But, that's easy to fix by just doing
an rm in that filesystem (since the file isn't held open).

So, it's mostly just annoying, but not damaging.

Regardless, that doesn't address the original concern.  I'm curious
why this select thing is happening at all.  Is it an X problem?  I
don't think so -- it just kind of happened out of nowhere with
previously working X binaries.  But, it was worse at one point and
it's not as bad as it used to be.  I don't have enough kernel
knowledge to deduce what that means.  Or, maybe it's just a change in
the libraries?

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.