Subject: Re: Choosing the right PC-box.
To: Eduardo E. Horvath eeh@btr.com <eeh@btr.btr.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/1996 09:04:13
> Well, since everyone else is running around praising Fujitsu and damning
> Quantum, let me pu in my $0.02.  I have a Quantum 40S that came with my
> computer that I have had for over 6 years with no problems what so ever.
> I bought a Fujitsu 512MB drive about 4 years ago, a drive that has
> recently been suffering from a sticktion problem.  Every time I power my
> machine up I need to give it a thump so the Fujitsu spins up.

I have several Quantums (40, 52, 80, 170, 1080, 1080 MB) and they all
have worked flawlessly for years - except the Empire 1080's which both
refuse to spin up after a year of use.  I have heard similar reports from
other Empire users (including comp.scsi.periphs), so I don't recommend
Quantum Empire's to anyone.  I hope this is the only model with this
problem.

I also have two Fujitsu disks (quite new, no problems so far) and a few
Seagates (no problems so far).  An ancient Seagate suffered from the
stiction (sp?) problem, though..

  -jm