Subject: Re: SUP hiccups - how do these happen?
To: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
From: Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/03/1996 22:11:31
On Sun, 2 Jun 1996, Greg Earle wrote:

> The only difference between the PC and the Sun SUP-wise in "coll.list" is that
> I have "... delete keep old" in the PC's version and just "... delete keep" in
> the Sun's version.  Do I also then need to add "old" to the SPARCstation's
> "coll.list" in order to prevent this from happening?  I guess I'll just do
> that ...
>
> 	- Greg

That's a likely possibility.  The "old" flag causes sup to replace
files that have changed on the server, but have an older datestamp than
the last time you supped.  I'm not quite sure how this could happen, but
sup does seem to have synchronization problems with datestamps
sometimes.  Perhaps you could have problems if you usually use one sup
server, then switch to a different one, perhaps a sup server which is not
getting the "delete" requests and has old files lying around (this would
be a configuration error on the SUP server end).

One other likely possibility:  since you have the "keep" flag, perhaps
you made some changes to these files (hacking them due to a previous
buggy Makefile perhaps) and sup refused to write over them since you had
modified them!  That's why I don't use the keep flag (I use "delete old",
as per FreeBSD default sup examples), preferring to make a copy of my
patches and change them manually so I don't "forget" that I've made them.

---Jake