Subject: BAD BLOCKS WITH SCSI DISKS, HOW TO REMAP
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/03/1996 16:17:53
	Hello NetBSD folks.  I'm running a machine with NetBSD 1.1A (circa
February 1996 sources) which has a Bus Logic BT946C and a Seagate
Technologies ST31230N 1.X gig disk attached to it.  The machine (an i386
Pentium) runs fine, except that I'm getting lines of the form:

Jun  3 02:01:53 rumpleteazer /netbsd: sd0(bt0:0:0): medium error, info = 842458 (decimal), data = 00 00 00 00 11 00 00 00 00 00 06 22 00 53

This has been going on for a few weeks, and the block number is always the
same.
	Is there a utility under NetBSD, like SunOS's format command, which
will let me issue the remap scsi request to this drive so it will use a new
block?  I've had this discussion before, but seem to remember that in order
to do this, I had to become a scsi byte coder and issue raw requests to the
scsi disk.  I'd prefer something with a little higher level interface if
possible.
-thanks
-Brian