Subject: SUP hiccups - how do these happen?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: current-users
Date: 06/02/1996 21:32:43
I was just trying to do a "make build" on my office SPARCstation and it died
on me down in "vi" with lots of conflicting definitions.  This seemed odd,
because I'd just built the world on a Pentium 120 upstairs early Friday and
everything went fine.  The file sizes in /usr/sup/current on both machines
are exactly identical (I have them both sup at the same time, 4:45 AM), so I
thought surely both of them had exactly the same files.  Turns out to not
be the case.

In /usr/src/usr.bin/vi/common on the PC, every file is dated May 20th 5:17 AM
(PDT) except for the newly-obsoleted "signal.c".  On the Sun side, almost the
same story, except for the fact that there were 2 new files dated May 20 16:44,
and "options.h" was dated May 20 16:44 as well - and it was quite a bit larger
than the same file on the PC:

PC:
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   3591 May 20 05:17 options.h

SPARCstation:
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel      0 May 20 16:44 compat.h
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  11289 May 20 16:44 excmd.h
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   6031 May 20 16:44 options.h

(ftp.NetBSD.ORG agrees with the PC's view of the universe.)

I don't get it.  The SPARCstation has SUP'd many times since this.  Why
didn't it delete the compat.h and excmd.h files, and why hasn't it gotten
the newer/correct version of "options.h"?  This worries me, as it makes me
wonder what *other* files are lying around on the SPARCstation's /usr/src
tree that are wrong ones (or shouldn't be there at all).

The only difference between the PC and the Sun SUP-wise in "coll.list" is that
I have "... delete keep old" in the PC's version and just "... delete keep" in
the Sun's version.  Do I also then need to add "old" to the SPARCstation's
"coll.list" in order to prevent this from happening?  I guess I'll just do
that ...

	- Greg