Subject: Re: Clean up DST and TIMEZONE
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: current-users
Date: 05/30/1996 13:55:33
>>From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
>
>> Specifically I suggest to remove or comment out the DST and TIMEZONE
>> options for the i386 GENERIC* and INST* kernels, and I also suggest
>> to remove the definitions of these options in
>> /sys/arch/mac68k/conf/std.mac68k.  I don't have the sources for other
>> ports, so I can't tell the consequences for these ports.
>
> I have no objection to commenting out these options in the i386
> GENERIC* configs, but I would object to taking them out completely.
> If they are removed, new users will be unable to learn that NetBSD can
> cope with a RTC that is set to local time instead of GMT.

I agree with Mike.  Comment out oui, remove, no.

When you remove things, it's awfully hard for people to find out about them.
For example, in the SPARC port, rumor has it that "options BLINK" will cause
the little green power LED to blink to let you know the system is still
working.  A way cool idea.  (Losing the LEDs from the VME-based Suns to the
desktop SPARCstations really sucked.  In days of yore if the machine locked
up, at least you could look on the back, see a frozen LED pattern, and you'd
know for sure - "Yup, the machine's locked up".  But sometimes it wasn't - it
was just going reeeeaaaallll slow (i.e. LEDs would change, but really slowly).

Yet:

netbsd4me:2:22 [/usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/conf] % egrep BLINK *
netbsd4me:2:23 [/usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/conf] %

it doesn't exist anywhere in the kernel config directory, commented or not.
Which, of course, makes one start to wonder how many other cool little #ifdef
thingies are lying around out there in kernel-land undiscovered because they
aren't in any of the files in .../conf.

	- Greg