Subject: Re: i386 com driver, bounce buffers...
To: Juergen Hannken-Illjes <hannken@serv1.eis.cs.tu-bs.de>
From: Mark Willey <willeyma@expert.cc.purdue.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/30/1996 14:26:14
Juergen Hannken-Illjes writes:

> > 	Would it be possible for the two 'controversial' i386 patch sets
> > 	to be similarly supported by their authors, with a link from the
> > 	i386 www page, so those that _really_ need them to get their
> > 	systems working can use these 'unofficial' patches while waiting
> > 	for a correct MI implementation to be produced.
>
> i386 isa DMA is as always available from
>
> 	ftp://bseis.eis.cs.tu-bs.de/pub/hannken/isadma-patch

I agree that having these patches available is a very good thing, and I
will be applying some of them, and have applied patches for other various
things (sound support, other terminal devices, DOS support, etc).  HOWEVER,
I think that it's important that NetBSD always strives to include these
patches in the source tree when possible.  I would like to avoid making the
OS devolve into a weak distribution and collection of odd patches floating
around.  Just something for the highly-skilled persons who are making these
patches to think about...  Their work is very important - so important that
I think the extra 10% needed to include it in the tree would be well worth
it.

Mark