Subject: GDB keeps running out of VM trying read kernel core
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Craig Metz <cmetz@inner.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/30/1996 09:53:22
	I have a system with 16MB physical memory and 35MB of paging.
With debug symbols turned on, my full debug symbols image (netbsd.gdb)
is just over 10MB. Every time I try to get gdb to read the kernel core
(gdb -k netbsd.gdb netbsd.x.core), gdb complains with:

gdb: virtual memory exhausted: can't allocate 2414048 bytes.

	I've tried this on another box with 32MB RAM and 60MB of paging
space, but I get the exact same error message (and number).

	Are there known problems with the current GDB shipped with NetBSD
(-current or 1.1, they seem to be identical?) reading big kernel symbol
tables or core dumps that might be causing this?

								-Craig