Subject: Re: Clean up DST and TIMEZONE
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 05/30/1996 08:10:59
On Wed, 29 May 1996, Scott Reynolds wrote:

.. On Wed, 29 May 1996, Erik Bertelsen wrote:
..
.. > Maybe now is the time to remove these definitions completely as part of
.. > the clean-up for the release of 1.2.
..
.. This is clearly wrong in the case of some ports, such as i386, where DST
.. and TIMEZONE are used to indicate the offset of the hardware clock from
.. UTC.  Coexistence with other operating systems that don't have
.. altruistic notions about the RTC is necessary.
..
.. --scott

Ok, I may have expressed myself a little badly. I don't suggest to
remove the support for the options DST and TIMEZONE in conf/param.c,
I merely suggest to remove (or comment out) the definitions of these
options in any kernel configuration files that don't really need
them (i.e. set them to non-zero values).

When people build custom kernels, they should of course have the
possibility to define these options.

Specifically I suggest to remove or comment out the DST and TIMEZONE
options for the i386 GENERIC* and INST* kernels, and I also suggest
to remove the definitions of these options in
/sys/arch/mac68k/conf/std.mac68k. I don't have the sources for other
ports, so I can't tell the consequences for these ports.

regards
Erik Bertelsen