Subject: Re: ahc problems
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/29/1996 23:16:35
>On Wed, 29 May 1996 20:41:23 -0400 (EDT)
> Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org> wrote:
>
> > 	ahc0: board not responding
> > 	cmd fail
> > 	probe(ahc0:5:0): times out in message out phase, SCSISIGI == 0xf6
> > 	probe(ahc0:5:0): asserted ATN - device reset in message buffer
>
>I can't help but wonder if this is somehow related to the "ultra" timing
>changes Justin checked into the FreeBSD version of the driver after the
>new NetBSD version was committed.
>
>Justin?  Thoughts?

Most likely this is the timing problem I fixed in the sequencer code a
couple nights ago that caused the driver to miss message rejects for
wide negotiation to non-wide targets.  There is also a correlation with
enabling parity checking and "random" hangs of the driver on certain
revisions of the aic78X0 chips.  It looks like either the parity checking
hardware doesn't work as advertised or there is a chip bug I have to work
around.  I hope to get some SCSI bus analizer time later this week so I
can tell exactly whats going wrong.

BTW, the merged FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD driver should hit the FreeBSD
tree later tonight.  Its should be plug compatible for NetBSD-current
so you can pull bug fixes at your leisure.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations