Subject: Re: Building May 25th tar balls on V1.1/i386 box
To: None <scott.burns@labatt.com>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/29/1996 19:48:58
>From: "Burns, Scott" <scott.burns@labatt.com>
>Date: 	Wed, 29 May 1996 11:09:11 -0400

>According to the message posted back then since libc would be
>dynamically referenced by most images it would get the new code and be
>able to read the new catalog format automatically ? After my upgrade
>for example, NFS mount commands complain about: "Message Catalog System:
>corrupt file" or something like that when trying to report to me that
>they can't mount the remote drives (see para. below re: this).

Did you rebuild the message catalogs themselves?

>===> sh
>cc  -static -o sh arith.o arith_lex.o init.o alias.o builtins.o cd.o
>echo.o errp
>arith_lex.o: Undefined symbol `_yylval' referenced from text segment
>arith_lex.o: Undefined symbol `_arith_startbuf' referenced from text
>segment
>arith_lex.o: Undefined symbol `_arith_buf' referenced from text segment
>arith_lex.o: Undefined symbol `_arith_buf' referenced from text segment
>builtins.o: Undefined symbol `_expcmd' referenced from text segment
>expand.o: Undefined symbol `_arith' referenced from text segment

It looks like some library references are missing.  sh needs -ledit,
and may also need -ll (I forget).

>===> fsck_ffs/SMM.doc
>install -c -o bin -g bin -m 444  Makefile 0.t 1.t 2.t 3.t 4.t
>/usr/share/doc/ss
>usage: install [-cs] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] file1

>New SMM doc's for ffs I guess ?

I remember running into this.  Try:

# mv /usr/share/doc/smm/02.fsck{,_ffs}

before installing.  It looks like you may also be running into a bug
in the 1.1 /bin/sh that is tickled by 1.2B's /usr/share/mk/*.mk files.
You must build and install 1.2B's /bin/sh before installing its *.mk
files.

>===> man/man4/man4.arm32
>install -c -o bin -g bin -m 444 intro.cat4
>/usr/share/man/cat4/arm32/intro.0
>install: /usr/share/man/cat4/arm32/intro.0: Message Catalog System:
>corrupt fil.
>No such file or directory

You need to 'make distrib-dirs' (in src/etc I think) first.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>