Subject: halting in msdos filesystem
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/28/1996 20:19:14
This is very annoying.  When mount_msdos added support for Windows 95
filesystems I called it good and gave up working on my own code.  After
adding a 4GB hard drive and (finally) moving NetBSD onto it, I again mounted
the Windows 95 filesystem to grab a file from it -- and the operating system
promptly froze.  Well, since I was still using a March kernel I hoped it was
just a quirk that had been fixed, so yesterday I compiled a new kernel from
the May 25 sources.  Today I tried remounting the Windows 95 filesystem, and
sure enough, the system froze up again.  I can read the root directory, but
any time I try to go beyond that, the system halts before the newline can
reach the terminal.

Curiously, I can still mount a Windows 95 filesystem from my original 1.7GB
hard drive, so this appears to be a function of either the files on each
disk or the size of the partition.  Both drives are SCSI.  The Quantum drive
has a 761MB DOS partition, with the following files in the root directory:

TEMP
WINDOWS
WIN95
GAMES
APPS
Win95 on D
SCANDISK.LOG
COMMAND.DOS
CONFIG.DOS
FASTBOOT.BAT
STACKER.LOG
COMMAND.COM
AUTOEXEC.BAT
CMWIN.DAT
CONFIG.SYS
START256.DAT
AUTOEXEC.DOS
CONFIG.WIN
winzip.log
unstack.lfn
This is a Windows 95 filesystem
IMAGE.DAT

The Micropolis drive (which I can't read) has a 2047MB DOS partition with
these files in the root:

PROJECTS
WINDOWS
Program Files
ADMIN
Applications
Documents
DATA
GAMES
CONFIG.WIN
COMMAND.COM
NETLOG.TXT
SCANDISK.LOG
AUTOEXEC.BAT
AUTOEXEC.B~K
CONFIG.B~K
autoexec.nu
CONFIG.SYD
CONFIG.SYS
AUTOEXEC.BAK
CONFIG.AD3
AUTOEXEC.ZYX
AUTOEXEC.AD3
CONFIG.001
AUTOEXEC.SYD
IMAGE.DAT
Plus! Logo.sys
Drawing

If anybody familiar with the msdos filesystem driver can figure out what's
going wrong, I'll be more than happy to provide any other information you
need about my system configuration.
Trevin Beattie          "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
trevin@xmission.com     for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."
      {:->                                     --unknown