Subject: PPP questions
To: Current Users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 05/27/1996 23:16:10
Hi,

I'm having problems with PPP.  I'm trying to set up a PPP link between
two subnets.  The link is based on normal dial-up modems and should be
initialized automatically.  The problems:

* When I start pppd on system A and want it to dial and connect to system
  B using a chat script, pppd just sits there, doing nothing.  I think it's
  waiting for CD from the modem (procfs says the pppd process is waiting in
  ttyopen).  However, from the pppd man page I understood that when a chat
  script is specified, pppd will run the script without looking for carrier.
  In fact, this is how an older version of pppd worked.
  The pppd which doesn't work is that of 960413 (but the source hasn't
  changed since then, AFAIT).  pppd was working 960229 and before; my
  working copy was built on that day.

* I'm using 960413 kernels at both ends of the PPP link.  Looking at the
  sources, this version should have two transmission queues for the packets
  to give higher priority to interactive packets.  However, when running an
  ftp transfer in the background, the shell response is very slow.  The
  modem link is running at 28800 bps.  Is there any way to check whether
  PPP is giving a higher priority to the interactive packets or not?

* What is the 'official way' of having pppd retry connecting to the remote
  host forever?  The persist option tries to reconnect only once after the
  connection is lost (and if the connection can't be re-established, pppd
  exits).

* Is there any kind of compression enabled in PPP if I don't have any
  special options in my kernel config file?  It seems that some ASCII
  files are being compressed because the transfer speed exceeds the
  DTE speed of my modems. :-)

I am running pppd on Amiga 3000 (system A) and i386 (system B).

Any help appreciated.

  -jm

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---