Subject: Re: Travan tape backup
To: Damian McGuckin <damianm@esi.com.au>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/27/1996 00:30:57
>On Sun, 26 May 1996, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

>> Does anyone know anything about these TEAC Travan tape backup units?
>> They're getting pretty dirt cheap, and I could really use a tape
>> backup.  I'd prefer something SCSI, but for the price, these are hard
>> to pass up.
>> Are these floppy based units?  Will they work with the NetBSD wt
>> driver?

>We just tried the Connor TST3200R-FBET Travan TR-4 which has a SCSI
>interface.  On our diagnostic machine ( DOS ) with fancy test software
>it has achieved over 500Kb/sec with blocksize of 32Kb.  Later this
>week it will (hopefully) be tested on a SUN with SUNOS.  We have yet
>to schedule further tests.

Good deal, but how much does this unit cost?  I can get the 1.6GB
(compressed -- 800MB uncompressed) TEAC unit for $149 at CompUSA.  I'm
pretty sure that's not a SCSI unit.

I would expect SCSI tape units to Just Work with NetBSD's SCSI
drivers.  I don't know if the floppy units Just Work with the wt
driver, though.  I'd love to have a good SCSI tape unit, but I don't
*need* it.  $149 is enough that I could just go buy one.  $300 (about
the cheapest I think I've seen a SCSI unit) is something I'd have to
put in my budget for a future purchase.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.