Subject: Re: Problems building May 25th tars
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/26/1996 19:27:38
Ditto this, except I was trying to finish the build of my MARCH sources
which was previously discussed in this newsgroup (I've been terribly busy
with other things, and had a new hard drive installed, and didn't get NetBSD
transferred to it until just last weekend.)  Anyway, back then it was
suggested that I build gcc before libgcc.  So now I finally tried it, and I
got the exact same problem that Scott mentions below.

BTW, I'm still experiencing headaches with filesystem deadlocks, but I'll
reserve further complaints about that until I try building the new kernel.

At 12:36 pm 5/26/96 -0400, you wrote:
>I have made it through the kernel compile on a V1.1 i386 machine with
>the May 25th tarballs (May 18th died on the pss.c use of ad1848 files
>even though no sound drivers were selected in the config. I posted this
>before but the responses I received did not fix my problem. I added
>sound board support to the config file for the sound boards I don't have
>and it works for now).
>
>This new kernel works fine except that my /usr/src files are stored on a
>nfs drive and nfs can't mount them because of a program version number
>problem when using the V1.1B kernel with my V1.1 userland. (ie the mount
>command for the nfs mount of /usr/src fails). Maybe I just need to add
>an option to my nfs mounts to tell it about using older nfs or
>something.
>
>Anyway, I rebooted my V1.1 kernel and continued on with the V1.1B
>userland rebuild and it has now died on:
>
>===> libgcc
>cc -O -I/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/libgcc/../common
>-I/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/lib
>gcc/../arch  -I/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/libgcc/../arch/i386 -Werror  -c
>-DL__gcc
>_bcmp -o __gcc_bcmp.o /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/libgcc/libgcc2.c
>/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/libgcc/libgcc2.c:76: no data type for mode `XF'
>/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/libgcc/libgcc2.c:82: unknown machine mode
>`__word__'
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop.
>*** Error code 1
>

>In order to get this far I had to rebuild "yacc" first as the %expect
>command was not understood by the V1.1 yacc (it is used in the gcc
>compile now) and I had to rebuild "tsort" as well as the "q" option was
>not understood as well (it is also used in the gcc compile).
>
>If I can get this all rebuilt I will post a shell script which will let
>people who have a plain V1.1 system to try out the impending V1.2
>snapshots. I have this script ready except for this problem.
>
>Here is my file so far for rebuilding. Note that the kernel stuff is
>commented out for now as that part is complete.
>
>#
># i386_v1_1_v1_1b.sh - Upgrade a V1.1 i386 machine to V1.1b (May 25th
>tars)
>#
># Unofficial V1.1 to V1.1B (May 25th) upgrade script...
>#
>#
># Thought I would return the favour (favor in the US) for people trying
># upgrade a straight V1.1 (i386) machine to V1.1B (current) machine in
># prep. for the V1.2 release. Someone gave me this file when I was
>trying to
># upgrade from V1.0 to the -current of the time. So please e-mail me any
># oddities you run into and I will keep reposting this until V1.2 is
>out.
>#
># This procedure has been used to upgrade a raw V1.1 i386 machine,
> [...]
Trevin Beattie          "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
trevin@xmission.com     for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."
      {:->                                     --unknown