Subject: Re: wd.c driver, VESA support
To: G. Baldwin <drizzit@eskimo.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/25/1996 00:29:49
>But some people may be installing NetBSD as a 2nd OS, not their primary
>one.  They may want to shove it on an old 200 - 300MB drive, or on a few
>100MB drives...

Correct.  And it should work for them.  But they shouldn't expect such
a system to deliver on all the hype of the ultimate performance EIDE
is supposed offer, because it's likely their system just can't deliver
that, no matter what driver you write.

>> Given this fact, to get the promises of ultimate EIDE performance,
>> many people are going to have to spend money on new equipment anyway.
>> If you're going to do that, spend a little more and get SCSI.  It
>> works better, it's more flexible, it's more "powerful", it's more
>> extensible, and it's just more pleasant to work with.

>A lot of new motherboards have built in interfaces that support ATA mode 3
>drives.  They are practically free equipment on there.  Why not let people
>use them?  Some people have better things to spend money on than a $100
>SCSI-FAST interface when they have something that will do the job just as
>good.

Right (we agree).  I'm not saying "don't write the driver".  Somebody
write it.  I think we need it.

However, if you are spending money on new parts, spend it on SCSI.
Even with the best EIDE has to offer, SCSI still Just Works Better.
If you can't afford that, well, live with EIDE.  But I'm still telling
you that you'd be happier with SCSI. :-)

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.