Subject: RE: Com problems persist
To: 'John C. Hayward' <johnh@david.wheaton.edu>
From: Davyd Norris <Davyd.Norris@fcollins.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 05/24/1996 14:02:14
----------
From:  John C. Hayward[SMTP:johnh@david.wheaton.edu]
Sent:  Wednesday, 22 May 1996 6:34
To:  Davyd Norris
Cc:  'Current Users'

On Wed, 22 May 1996, Davyd Norris wrote:

> Hi all, > > I am still experiencing character lossage over the com ports
Hi all,

> I am still experiencing character lossage over the com ports at higher speeds.  This is evident
> as frame errors and CRC errors during PPP sessions.

Are you also experiencing silo overflows at these higher rates?  I get a
fair number of silo overflows (some times over 15 a minuite) on 486/33
with internal USRobotic modems which have 16550 ports.  I've tweaked the ...

To follow up on a thread which has obviously touched a few nerves :)

I have had almost no silo or ibuf overflows since I started running NetBSD seriously Feb. before last.  This
includes up to recent times, where I see almost constant frame errors reported in Trumpet, and CRC errors
reported in Win95 and NT RAS.  I am assuming they are reporting the same thing with different names.

My system:

Pentium 90 PCI, ASUS motherboard, 2 x inbuilt 16550's, 2 x external ISA card (removed at the moment)
NCR SCSI-II PCI card
2 x SMC EtherPower PCI cards
Diamond Stealth SE PCI card
2Gb Quantum Capella Fast SCSI-II HDD

NEC SCSI CD-ROM
Archive SCSI DAT Tape drive

I used to be able to have two COM lines firing at 115200 baud  with almost no errors reported (all were silo errors
and occurred when both lines were doing serious web browsing), as well as 20 or so browsers using the web proxy
with no hassles.  Not even a flinch.  I have had 120 browers hitting the proxy as well as people coming in the ISDN
line and have then seen peaks of about 96% utilization, which was really cranking!!!  I love this system!

BUT, since Christmas or very soon after (29/12/95 I think) I can't get one COM port running at 57600 on a stand alone
machine to be error free for any length of time.

I was new to ppp servers when I set the thing up, and I had a separate IP for the local end of each line as well as the
NIC (.10, .11, and .12) and I had static routes set up to go between these.  At christmas I changed my ppp configuration
at that time to go point-to-point from each line to .10, which is the NIC address.  It seemed to work fine except for the
frame errors, so I figured I had done OK.  Is this right?

Anyway, thanks for the responses

Dave.