Subject: Re: DESTDIR vs. beforeinstall - Battle of the Titans
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 05/23/1996 23:19:51
Ty Sarna writes:
> Chris writes:
> > header installs are done this way (i.e. cmp then install if different)
> > for all 'generated' headers (at least, that i'm aware of).
> >
> > you have to do this for generated headers: otherwise, when you 'make
> > clean' and then 'make includes' you'll end up _always_ installing a
> > header with a new mod time.  For static headers, you don't need to do this.
>
> So why is lib/libcurses/curses.h installed that way?

Note that I didn't say that static headers _couldn't_ be done this
way...  8-)

I'd say that overall, it's 'more correct' to install with the 'cmp,'
because it means that if you happened to touch the file, or made a
change, realized it was stupid, and backed it out, you won't lose.

I'd actually like to see /usr/src/include installed with 'cmp's too; i
lose relatively often to "change a file used by everything, then back
out the change it was stupid."  However, that's a bit harder, because
you need to deal with the case where files in /usr/include no longer
exist in /usr/src/include and should be removed...

cgd