Subject: Re: DESTDIR vs. beforeinstall - Battle of the Titans
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 05/23/1996 13:51:12
> well, IMO, the way that it does the 'cmp', etc, is totally bogus...
>
> nothing else in the tree cares about doing this -- it's not like it
> matters, either, as the relevant [acm]time's are taken from the
> source file.

what are you talking about?

header installs are done this way (i.e. cmp then install if different)
for all 'generated' headers (at least, that i'm aware of).

you have to do this for generated headers: otherwise, when you 'make
clean' and then 'make includes' you'll end up _always_ installing a
header with a new mod time.  For static headers, you don't need to do
this.  I'm not sure which headers in particular are being talked about
here, however...

chris