Subject: Re: PPro MB recommendation
To: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 05/22/1996 12:06:24
On Tue, 21 May 1996, Niklas Hallqvist wrote:

> With the 2940UW, should I choose a 5400 RPM Ultra-wide disk or a 7200 RPM
> wide one?  (I guess that depends on the applications' locality of reference
> when getting data off disk, but I thought I might ask anyway).

That depends on how many drives you have on your system, and how
many of them support Ultra. I suspect that in almost all situations
the 7200 RPM disk will be faster, ultra or no.

I get about 6MB/sec from my 7200 RPM Atlas drives and 4 MB/sec from
my 5400 RPM HP drives. With speeds like this, the 7200 RPM drive will
be faster even on narrow SCSI 2.

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.