Subject: Re: Lingering ahe0 reference in GENERIC/GENERICADP/INSTADP
To: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
From: James Michael Chacon <jmc@hedgehog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/21/1996 13:22:50

>In FreeBSD, if the EISA bus is configured into your kernel, slot
>space is always probed.  The short answer for why this was done
>was to allow the 2842 to use the EISA probe code instead of basically
>having to duplicate it into its own probe (the slot space is
>going to get probed anyway).  Before you fill my mail box with messages
>about how much of a hack this is, please read the discussion Terry L.
>and I had on this issue in the FreeBSD-current mailing list.

It doesn't matter how much you discussed it, that doesn't make it any
less of a groddy hack...As if talking about it more makes it a prettier
solution...

So, in other words if a person has say a 486 with ISA and 1 VLB slot they
now have to know to compile in an eisa bus in their kernel config
file as well? This makes no sense. The rule of least astonishment should
apply here, and being told "Oh yeah, add eisa into you kernel" when you
don't have one isn't it.

James