Subject: Re: misc/2409: /etc/daily problem with MAILTO
To: Neil J. McRae <neil@domino.org>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 05/17/1996 08:32:51
On Thu, 16 May 1996, Neil J. McRae wrote:

.. On Tue, 14 May 1996 18:40:42 +0200 (MET DST)
..  Erik Bertelsen <erik@erik-be.uni-c.dk> wrote:
..
..
.. Call me paranoid, but I _like_ that /etc/security goes only to root.
..
.. Neil.

You can choose between some degree of being paranoid or being more practi-
cal.

My problem with the paranoid approach here is that I have to log in
as root regular on any machine that is being monitored by the
daily and security scripts.

I prefer to be able to collect all these messages into a mailbox that
I actually look at regularly, and in the case of several systems on a
LAN, I prefer to collect all these messages in one mailbox on one system.

I recognize the point of being paranoid, but I don't like to have to
log in as root on several systems each day just to check the mail.

To adhere to "the principle of least astonishment" I still recommend to
have all root's cron generated output end up the same place by default.
Any site can still override this behaviour by mailing the security
output directly to root if desired.

regards
Erik Bertelsen