Subject: 1.2 features - Netscape uname fix
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/15/1996 23:54:44
One of the things I would really like to see make it in before the 1.2
freeze is the patch that allows Netscape to figure out it's running on
a NetBSD system.  It was posted, a few months ago, at least a few
times on current-users, and I assume worked on the peoples' systems
who tried it.  I never picked it up because I figured a person with
check-in access would do so.

To refresh memories, this is what Netscape prints when you run it
right now:

	netscape: uname() failed; can't tell what system we're running on

I think it's really important that all those web servers out there
that are collecting statistics know that NetBSD users really do exist.
Right now they count just about everyone but us.  It would be nice to
get this into the tree before the release, rather than after, so
people not following current will get it in the near future.

It shouldn't be a terribly destabilizing thing to pull in at the last
minute.  Any volunteers?

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.