Subject: New message catalog implementation
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: J.T. Conklin <jtc@cygnus.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/13/1996 17:06:54
I checked in a new message catalog implementation this afternoon.

The new code uses a more efficient machine independent file format
like what is used by svr4 systems but with fixed sized fields and
fixed byte order.  In fact, the NetBSD libc() functions are able to
read svr4 message catalogs compiled on big endian 32 bit systems.

Due to a defect in the old code, a warning will be printed to stderr
when it attempts to open a new format catalog.  This should only occur
with staticly linked programs, as dynamic executables will use the new
message catalog code/format automatically.

One workaround for warning message is to set the LANG or NLSPATH
environment variables to specify a non-existing message catalog.

I apologize in advance for any inconvenience.

	--jtc