Subject: Re: Problems with ccd (960413)
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/13/1996 12:16:12
>	Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> said:
>
>> What kind of hardware are you using; i.e. disk controller and disks...I
>> notice that these are all on sd1 ... maybe a disk is flaking out?
>
>He uses new aic7xxx driver and AHA-274x + 4 Disks + 1 CD-ROM.
>dmesg is attached below.
>
>> The implication is that your SCSI controller is failing to send the
>> command.  It could also be that the SCSI subsystem is unable to malloc()
>> storage for a data structure (note the SCSI_NOSLEEP).

Ahhh.  The infamous SCSI_NOSLEEP problem.  This was fixed in FreeBSD more
than a year ago (when wcarchive was using a 2742 controller) and is
caused by the SCSI system setting SCSI_NOSLEEP more often then required.
I thought that NetBSD pulled these changes back then, but I guess not.
As I recall, we did have to make a few small structural changes to
reduce the use of SCSI_NOSLEEP, but I suggest you re-evaluate its
usage in the NetBSD MI SCSI code.  The 2742 just exacerbates the problem
because of its small number of SCBs.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations