Subject: NFS problems
To: Current Users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@muikku.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 05/07/1996 09:27:52
Hi,

I have a NetBSD-current NFS server (960310 or some such) with /home on it.
I mount this directory to SunOS and NetBSD clients.  One of the SunOS clients
is running the Apache WWW server.  I noticed that Apache can't read the
users' home pages and frist thought the problem was in Apache, but now it
seems it's in NFS.

The /home partition is exported like this:

  /home   -maproot=root:wheel -alldirs    client

On the clients, I have a simple NFS mount entry in fstab with no special
options.

The problem:

I can access all files on /home on the clients as root, but as a normal
user I can't access even files with world read access:
- I can ls -l the files and see their permissions (644)
- I can fopen(filename, "r") the files OK
- I can NOT fread(file,..) the files (gives permission denied)

The Apache server is able to fopen the files, but then fails to read them
(and returns empty pages to WWW clients).

The same happens on both SunOS and NetBSD clients.

Any ideas?  I need to get our WWW server working ASAP, but I have no idea
of what to do. :-(

Thanks,

  -jm

--