Subject: Re: network logins slow with tcsh?
To: Iain Hibbert <plunky@skate.demon.co.uk>
From: Gorgonio Araujo <gorgonio@ufba.br>
List: current-users
Date: 05/06/1996 09:31:30
On Sun, 5 May 1996, Iain Hibbert wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Apr 1996, Jukka Marin wrote:
>
> > Why are network logins so slow when using tcsh as login shell?  Sometimes
> > it takes 15 seconds to log on, even though the host computer is 100% idle.
> > I think the fix involved compiling tcsh with different options, but...?

Look at yours tcsh version var, is there any rh option? rh option
indicates that tcsh is trying to set REMOTEHOST variable, and so, it's
trying to use DNS. Probably your connection to some in-addr.arpa servers
aren't so good. It's possible to turn off rh option during compile time.
Se tcsh source documentation to know how to do that.

[]

--
Gorgonio Araújo <gorgonio@ufba.br>
Rede Nacional de Pesquisa - RNP