Subject: Re: network logins slow with tcsh?
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@skate.demon.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 05/05/1996 15:58:42
On Sat, 20 Apr 1996, Jukka Marin wrote:

> Why are network logins so slow when using tcsh as login shell?  Sometimes
> it takes 15 seconds to log on, even though the host computer is 100% idle.
> I think the fix involved compiling tcsh with different options, but...?

a while ago, I had a strange problem with my email not arriving - I tried to
'telnet localhost smtp' at that time, and noticed a 5-15 second delay while
it connected..  doing a 'ps' showed me *lots* of identd processes, some with
huge time values - I think just recompiling a newer identd (and possibly
rebooting) solved that one, but I was in the process of upgrading to -current
(early April) at the time so it might have been something else..  the identd
that I replaced would have been a 1.1 release one.

]ain