Subject: Re: modem recommandation and software
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/04/1996 00:49:31
On Fri, 3 May 1996, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

> The other thing is I used to be a customer of a large Internet Service
> Provider in the Seattle area.  I would regularly read their newsgroups
> where they would deal with customer problems.  And the only modem that
> ever was specifically mentioned by name as causing problems was the
> Sportster.  Evidently there was even a ROM version released that would
> cause major problems connecting, and people who bought modems with
> that ROM version had to get an upgrade from US Robotics to get decent
> service.

I had one of these "wouldn't connect" Sportsters, and sure enuf, a ROM
upgrade fixed the problem.  The pre-upgrade unit that I bought was one of
the V.FC ROM versions, and the upgrade (which USR provided free, for the
cost of an E-mail!) was to bring it up to full V.34 compliance.  So, if
you've got one of the "bad" units, and it's still in warrantee, contact
support@usr.com immediately!