Subject: Re: Changes to /usr/share/mk/* for Cross-Compiling
To: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 04/30/1996 15:31:16
On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, Giles Lean wrote:

> > chown
> 	Not all systems understand 'user:group' or 'user.group'.  If
> 	we avoid these constructions I guess they're OK.

We don't avoid them. However, the only place this is used is in
bsd.man.mk, where we gzip (or rather ${MCOMPRESS}) the manual page.
When we do that we compress it and send stdout to the finall
destination, $instpage, and then do the chown and chmod. I suggest
this needs to be rewritten to do the compress in the obj directory,
and then run install to install the compressed copy in the appropriate
place. If Those In Charge agree with me I'll do this and submit a
PR for it as well.

> > echo
> 	The infamous '-n' v. '\c'.

Someone else mentioned this to me, too. We don't use -n or \c
anywhere, nor can I ever see reason to do so. I think this should
remain as just `echo.'

> > lpr
> 	*Surely* we don't use this in Makefiles?  I don't know *what*
> 	you can do portably with print commands.

It's just used to print out the papers in /usr/share/doc, from the
looks of it:

    print: paper.ps
	    lpr -P${PRINTER} paper.ps

cjs