Subject: bitching about ciscos (Was Re: Rolling in IPv6 code into -current)
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/28/1996 10:17:56
> I don't think IP itself really is lacking anything serious at the
> moment; the major problem is routing.  CIDR is addressing that to some
> extent, and the technology is improving.  Someone mentioned IP space -
> there's _plenty_ of IP space, it's just very badly allocated.  People
> are using 8-bit subnets for ten-host ethernets and the like.

<CYNIC>
I haven't yet had time to look at the propsals on the table for the next
NANOG, but people tell me that it involves yet another round of magic
restrictions to fix the problems *caused* by the massive presence of
Cisco. "Apparently" (in quote, cause we all knew this, insteresting how
others are only now finding out) their CPUs cannot cope with the route
flap going on out there, so they are going to fix the problem by providing
facilities to drop prefixes base on some inversely exponential metric to
do with the prefix length.

sigh. Cisco are proud to have 80% of the Internet infrastructure they say.
Can they fix their intentionally under powered systems to actully allow
the world to keep working ? No. sigh.

I am glad we use NetBSD boxes for routers. I can even put up with the
instabilities of gated.
</CYNIC>

Regards,
--