Subject: Re: What make program parses BSD makefiles?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/27/1996 15:30:27
>> I am baffled by the format of the Makefiles included in the BSD
>> source.  What make program uses it?  I am used to the style of
>> makefiles used by GNU make and most other Unix make programs.

> BSD make isn't all that different from the others; most of the magic
> is in the /usr/share/mk/bsd.*.mk files that are .included by most
> Makefiles in the tree.  The /usr/share/mk/bsd.README explains how it
> all works.

BSD make may or may not be that different from GNU make - I avoid GNU
software when possible - but it's drastically different from
traditional least-common-denominator "most [] Unix make programs".
It's got .include, it's got .if, it's got +=, it's got ?=, it's got a
hell of a lot of stuff I've never seen anyplace else.  (Just now,
provoked by this message, I read the SunOS 4.1.4 make(1) manpage
[actually, the Auspex 1.8.1M1Z1 one].  It's got some but not all of
what BSD make has, and indeed has a couple of things that I don't
recall seeing when I read over NetBSD's make docs.)

Of course, most of this stuff is not in "traditional" make and thus not
useful in makefiles intended to be reasonably portable.  I certainly
wouldn't say that BSD make is "[not] all that different" from "most []
Unix make programs"; about all the latter have in common is support for
old "traditional" makefiles....

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu