Subject: Re: Rolling in IPv6 code into -current
To: Matt Ragan <matt@ibmoto.com>
From: David Carrel <carrel@cisco.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/25/1996 09:05:07
> The USA in general may not care, but I have a feeling that members of the
> IETF may think slightly more globally (one would hope).

The IETF took the position that the US export policy should not set the
IETF's technical requirements.  While this does have some value as an
altruistic statement, I and many others, find it naively egotistical.  A
fully compliant IPv6 stack must include DES encryption and cannot be
generally exported at this point in time.

Sigh...  Doesn't matter anyway.  IPv6 is the new ISO of networking.  It's
an overspecified morrass.  ("Hey, let's design a new protocol by committee
without any real world testing!")  I honestly doubt it will ever become
"real".

Dave