Subject: Re: Has anyone found a way to implement quotas with MFS?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rick Dante <rdante@pnet.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/25/1996 04:54:57
>der Mouse writes:
>> > But quotacheck seems to want an ffs... [...]  Has anyone come up with
>> > an elegant (or at least a working) way to have quotas on an mfs?
>>
>> I doubt you'll get that.  But you should be able to get the functional
>> equivalent by using an rd ramdisk instead of mfs; those are, AFAIK,
>> real disk devices, capable of ffs, iso9660, msdos, etc - any filesystem
>> you can have on a real disk, you can have on an rd.
>
>The file system on an mfs is really an ffs in a chunk of process
>memory...

Theo De Raadt added the changes a few days ago to support quotas in mfs. I
finished testing it out today (the last piece was getting quotaon to deal
with the mfs:???? mount table convention and Theo added that fix for me to
test).

What I do is keep disk copies of the quota db files and have rc copy these
over to the mfs before quotacheck.  Then I have a script copy the db files
to disk whenever I run edquota.  I have it print out what it's doing too,
so if the script ever gets hosed,  I will "miss" the verbose output.

Just thought I'd let you guys know in case anybody else is interested in
doing the same.

Rick Dante

    /    ****   /              Rick Dante ^^^^^^ rdante@pnet.net
   /    ____  /              Pinnacle Internet http://www.pnet.net
  /    |  | INnacle      San Juan Bautista, CA          (408) 623-1040
 /    |  | inTERNET
/    |RE| serving the spirit of the internet!!