Subject: Re: Config File / Kernel Building
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/24/1996 21:21:43
> If you don't want to rely on the filesystem type in the disk label,
> then get rid of it as it is not only meaningless, but misleading.  If
> you do want that attribute present, then yes the system does have
> every right to fail to follow your directions and tell you "You can't
> do that because it's not declared as a type X filesystem."  [...]

> BTW, I'm perfectly happy with a value for the attribute that says
> "undefined", and thus effectively disables all related policy
> mechanisms -- this is your "out" to freedom.

You still haven't addressed what to do with disks with port-specific
compatability disklabels that don't _have_ types...like the sparc and
sun3 ports, which support Sun-style disklabels, which don't have typed
partitions.

Should the compatability code just return "undefined" for all its
partitions?  That renders the boot disk (often the only disk) incapable
of supporting these nice make-sure-I-don't-shoot-myself-in-the-foot
things you've been touting....

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu