Subject: Re: why a double login??
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/24/1996 21:18:45
> I succeeded at once with the getty out of the way.
> Furtermore...i found it where only the all-uppercase logins.

A*ha*.  Ever since 4.3 (at least), getty has included special-case
code, such that if the username it sees is all uppercase, it throws the
tty into uppercase-only mode.  This doesn't seem to work with
NetBSD/sun3 console, nor with SunOS 4.1.4 on a pseudo-tty with telnet,
but I have seen it happen on a SunOS 4.1.x (headful) console.  Perhaps
our getty includes just enough of this code to cause trouble, like
maybe it lowercases the username but does nothing else?

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu