Subject: Re: pcvt and TIOCCONS
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 04/22/1996 14:32:57
On Fri, 19 Apr 96 12:53:09 EDT
 "Gordon W. Ross" <gwr@mc.com> wrote:

 > > > I like cgd's idea about supporting globs here.
 > >
 > > Also agreed.
 >
 > This lets you have one record apply to many tty lines.
 > Is this something people actually want to do or just a
 > "creaping feature?"

Actually, I could see a real benefit in being able to do this, in, say,
chris's "modem use" example.  Or, perhaps someone would like some special
action to be applied to network ptys.

 > We do not provide globbing in /etc/ttys so why should we do
 > it in the file(s) that specify tty login/logout actions?

Hmm ... Maybe because /etc/ttys "defines" which ttys/ptys "exist", but
/etc/ttyactions (or whatever :-) defines what you want to do to/with a
tty/pty that's known to exist.