Subject: vi (was Re: /usr/share NOT?)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/22/1996 18:22:36
> Which brings me to my last point.  vi will not run without
> /usr/share.  This is a downright pain in the ass if /usr/share is
> nfs.

This disagrees with my experience.  I find that with $TERMCAP
containing a termcap entry appropriate for $TERM, vi will run quite
nicely with /usr/share renamed to /usr/share-.  I tested it with

% ( mv /usr/share /usr/share- ; vi .cshrc ; mv /usr/share- /usr/share )

(Note: $TERMCAP contains the entry itself, not a pathname to an
alternative termcap file.)

> It would be an improvement if vi would kick itself into 'open mode'
> when it couldn't divine the terminal properly.

When I try :open, vi claims that "The open command is not yet
implemented.", which probably means that open mode itself is not yet
implemented.

I'm with cgd on this - use ed if you have to....

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu