Subject: Re: Has anyone found a way to implement quotas with MFS?
To: None <rdante@pnet.net>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/22/1996 10:53:37
> Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 01:06:55 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Rick Dante <rdante@pnet.net>

> I want to mount memory filesystems on /tmp and /var/tmp and I want to slap
> quotas on them to keep the users from blowing things up.
>
> I thought I could simply edit rc to copy quota.user from a secure place on
> disk to /tmp.  But quotacheck seems to want an ffs...  it ignores the
> fstab entry with the mfs.

This is yet another way in which mfs is sort of kluged.

If instead, you use "rdconfig ..." to configure a user-space
RAM-disk, you get exactly the same resource use as MFS, and
the mount is an honest-to-goodness FFS type.  (quota support)
The downside is you have to newfs the RAM-disk yourself.

Gordon