Subject: Re: CD Writer Software
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Danny Thomas <D.Thomas@vthrc.uq.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 04/22/1996 07:12:21
Martin Konold <zxmmz01@student.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>The main point is NOT CPU. The main thing is that the hdd used does NOT
>do those thermal recalibration every 30min or so. This will give you in
>any environment buffer underruns.
>So please get an audio/video capable harddrive. Those are normally a
>little bit slower and more expensive but they are the only one's which do
>work reliable.

thet's the unfortunate situation.
Several years ago when I was following the CDROM production list, I simply
couldn't understand why these burners didn't come with a few SIMM sockets
so you could add extra RAM. Wouldn't have exactly raised the cost by much
and perhaps these companies missed the opportunity so frequently taken by
printer manufacturers - "of course you can add extra memory but you'll have
to buy this deluxe, super-special, high-performance, ISO9000 memory from
us" (ie non-standard SIMMs at a 'suitable' price!).

Extra memory doesn't provide you with the guarantees required of real-time
processing, but would have been useful in practice. I think the otherwise
reputable Kodak burner came with 512K.

cheers,
Danny Thomas  <D.Thomas@cmcb.uq.edu.au>