Subject: logins slow with tcsh + no net?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brandon Reed (alaric) <reed@engr.orst.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/21/1996 18:43:49
I'd like to know what the "correct" way to fix my problem was.

I remember that when I took my box off ethernet last spring and took it
home for the summer where there wasn't a network that tcsh logins of any
type took forever to start running (obviously timing out on some network
response). I don't know what I should change to make it work "normal" in
both situations. There's never any delay when it's hooked up to the net.
I got it to work "normal" by compiling a kernel that had the wrong specs
for the net card in it so it didn't try to look at the network.  The
system acted really funny when I compiled a kernel with _no_ net cards in
the kernel. (This was 1.0a at the time, don't remember what tcsh version.)

Alaric,           | Archery: A deeply seated hatred of paper with bright
Mka Brandon Reed  |  coloured circles printed on it.
reed@engr.orst.edu|
http://www.engr.orst.edu:80/~reed