Subject: Re: pcvt and TIOCCONS
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/19/1996 20:13:22
Gordon W. Ross wrote:

> The parsing is not a problem.  I was referring to the proposal
> (not quoted above) to have "chown" and "chmod" actions and such
> in addition to "login" and "logout" actions (to avoid having to
> fork a shell for those).

Ah, I see what you're getting at now! I was not proposing that the
action field be for verbs.  It's not what action to _perform_, It's for
matching on what action is _being_ performed (ie, login or logout).
Ignore my first proposal (extended fbtab syntax) entirely.  The only
features of that which I'm proposing we add here is access to the group
information, and having login and logout handled in a single file, with
an "action" field to for rules to match on.

> I'm coming to like the idea of a single file where the 2nd field
> is a "match criteria" just like the first field (tty_name).  I'm
> not as comfortable with the idea of a long list of "action verbs"
> being supported in the 2nd field.  That sounds like bloat to me.
> (Trying to make this into a shell! 8^)

I think we're all agreed then, we just didn't know it ;-)

However, now I'm thinking we should go even simpler, and just call a
script with the appropriate variables.  (see other message) Why invent
new syntax when we have sh, which already has globbing, etc? This does
add more overhead, though.