Subject: Re: CD Writer Software
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 04/19/1996 19:52:38
>> Is there any CD writing software that runs on NetBSD?
> [cut]

>There is two parts to this. One if the software to create ISO9660 format
>file systems, which can then be put onto anything. I tried this with a
>floppy and SunOS mounted it fine as an hsfs filesystem. This sort of
>software on unix like systems goes under the name of (or used to) of mkisofs.
>Find it in your nearest Linux archive. It is very like tar in operation.

I use mkisofs 1.03 under NetBSD to generating my CDROM images. You should be
able to find it on lots of ftp sites.

>The second level of software is that used to actually copy the image to
>a CD-ROM drive. On a machie with a quiet SCSI bus and not much happeneing,
>with an older drive, you may find dd actually works. Not tried it. On newer
>drives with larger write buffers and restartable sessions etc dd should
>work (at least once). When you start getting complicated like mutil sessions
>and restartable sessions then I guess you need something a little more
>complex.

Right, well this bit I do not do on a NetBSD box yet. I use a program called
cdwrite under Linux in single user mode. I just have not got round to getting
cdwrite compiled and running under NetBSD. The reason has been one of "If it
works, don't break it"
I use a fairly old writer (CDD521). I don't know about newer writers but once
you start a write you have keep the data flowing and cannot have any interrupts
otherwise the CDROM is trashed.

Oneday soon when I get round to improving the performance of the NetBSD/arm32
SCSI drivers I'll look at getting cdwrite to work under NetBSD.

Note: I have not really looked at what cdwrite actually does although the
source code is a very small program.

Cheers,
				Mark

--