Subject: Re: 100mb/sec
To: John F. Woods <jfw@funhouse.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/15/1996 10:13:30
"John F. Woods" writes:
> However, a couple of years ago, in a USENET discussion on the relative merits
> of coax versus twisted pair, I happened to opine that many of the companies
> putting in Category 5 thinking that they were being forward-looking were
> likely to find that when they wanted to upgrade from plain-old Ethernet, the
> technology-du-jour was likely to require something even better than Cat 5,
> meaning they'd have to rewire ANYWAY.

Yup. Thats why I think anyone doing this sort of thing should be
putting in ductwork and wiring shafts, not just one set of wires for
use forever, since nothing these days is forever. My parents live in a
house that my mom built -- it has a central services shaft well hidden
behind the closets on several floors. Saved a lot of time and energy
when they needed to fix several things after the fact. I suggest
making sure that you can rewire the whole communications
infrastructure later on without having to open up any real walls.

For the moment, though, Cat 5 is good enough.

Perry