Subject: Re: libkvm won't build, needs machine/kcore.h
To: Iain Hibbert <>
From: bluen (Juergen PETER) <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/13/1996 16:33:47
> last week, somebody mentioned that ps etc failed to work, and its because
> libkvm needed updating..  I'm trying to do this, but can't get it to
> compile - kvm.c includes <machine/kcore.h> but I don't have one!
> I have installed the new include files and makefiles, my gcc is of a last
> week vintage..  locate kcore.h gives me
> /usr/include/sys/kcore.h
> /usr/src/sys/arch/atari/include/kcore.h
> /usr/src/sys/arch/m68k/include/kcore.h
> /usr/src/sys/sys/kcore.h
>  I guess the first and last are the same ( <sys/kcore.h> is also included,
> successfully) and the other two are probably intended to be machine
> dependent versions..  alas, I run on a SPARC, and we don't have one.
>  please, what am I missing?

Some of the ports still use libkvm.old (that means, it is still called
libkvm when installed, but the source resides in

I'm not sure about the sparc port, but you might want to take a look
at /usr/src/lib/Makefile whether it is intended on that port to use
libkvm.old. You did cd to /usr/src/lib/libkvm directly? Otherwise its
really a problem of the sources an not your fault.

I had to learn that myself this way on port-i386. (I only wanted to
build ps et al, had to compile libkvm and cd'd to
/usr/src/lib/libkvm). After checking /usr/src/lib/Makefile I realized
that I had to go to /usr/src/lib/likvm.old.

Juergen Peter (| PGP encrypted mail is welcome.
Univ. Geb. 13, Postfach 151150,   |
66041 Saarbruecken                |