Subject: installation problems for 1.1
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@punk.hedgehog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/13/1996 00:56:29
Heyyo,

A friend of mine just installed 1.1/i386 on his system, he had a few minor
problems.

<1> He had to recompile a kernel to do ppp (read: floppy-shuffle hell for
    kernel source)

<2> config(1) that shipped in the 1.1 binary set apparently didn't like
    the kernel config files in ftp/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.1/source/ksrc11
    (read: _more_ floppy-shuffle hell to get source for config)

I don't know what is up with <2>, I can't personally verify it at the moment.

<1> Can be fixed if we simply compiled GENERICOTHER and GENERICAHA
and put them somewhere in the binary dist so that users can at least
do ppp before compiling a custom kernel.

If 1.2 is going to be have an installation floppy set that contains a
compressed kernel, I vote that we (somehow) compile in ppp support.

Anyway, something to think about.

-- Rob
Internet: windsor@pobox.com      Life: Rob@Sunnyvale.California.USA.Earth
"Da Web": http://pobox.com/~windsor/

"Ain't much distance 'tween a pat on the back and a kick in the pants."
    -- David Lee Roth (1990), `The Dogtown Shuffle'