Subject: Re: pcvt and TIOCCONS
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Matt Ragan <matt@ibmoto.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/12/1996 03:00:47
Chris G Demetriou wrote:

>In particular, what i _really_ want is some way to specify explicit
>actions to be invoked on log-out.
>
>For instance, say i want JoeBob to own the console CD-ROM device when
>he logs in.  I also want a mechanism by which i can forcibly unmount
>anything he's mounted from there (let's not forget about user mounts!)
>and eject the CD-ROM, when he logs out.  (That, in addition to
>specifying the perms and ownership/group of the file, to be set on
>logout.)

I can see where this would be a nice feature, but what do you do in the
case where JoeBob gets the CD and mounts his NiftyCool(tm) XXTP Server
CD and starts up his xxtpd running from the CD then logs out, or runs
xxtpd which does a chdir() into the CD-mounted directory?  Do you kill
off any process which is currently accessing the mounted directory, or
do you just let it go and leave it mounted?  Should it be a run-time
option in /etc/fbtab or equivalent?  If the unmount fails or is not
performed for some reason, you probably don't want to change the
owner or permissions on the device.

Matt Ragan  (matt@ibmoto.com)  Motorola/IBM Somerset PowerPC Design Center
Network Administrator          Systems/Network Engineering  (512) 795-7298
9737 Great Hills Trail         Austin, Tx  78759        FAX (512) 795-7519